Easy Lentil Salad
This satisfying salad is a healthy, nutritious main dish or side. Kale and cabbage are really interchangeable here, depending on taste and availability. Pair it with brown rice and a roasted butternut for a fabulous meal.
- 2-3 cups dried lentils
- 1 c. green cabbage or kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- ½ c. mild red or white onion, diced
- ½ cup organic tofu, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Bragg’s
- ¼ tsp. Asian fish sauce (optional)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 c. chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds (optional)
Cook dried lentils according to instructions* 30-45 minutes.
Drain cooked lentils and leave them in the pot on the stove. Mix in onion, kale and/or cabbage and immediately and cover for 5 minutes. Prepare dressing in a large mixing/serving bowl and toss in lentil mixture. Add tofu and pea shoots then toss. Gently toss in avocado when cool, cover with sunflower seeds and serve.
Serves 4 as a side dish, 2 as an entrée.