Betty’s Bean Burritos
Betty’s Bean Burritos are a delicious opportunity to use leftover beans and rice for an easy dinner or satisfying lunch. As quick to make as they are healthy, I usually add shredded cabbage for an extra dash of green; as always, have fun creating your own version!
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans, precooked
- 2 cups brown rice, precooked
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 6 whole-grain tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded cheese, vegan or dairy
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups salsa (jarred is fine; choose your preference, from mild to hot)
- ½ cup olives 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup smoked tofu, diced
Heat beans and rice separately by placing into a saucepan, adding ½ inch of water, and warming over medium heat, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes. If beans are unseasoned, stir in salt before serving.
Warm your tortillas by wrapping a stack of 6 tortillas in aluminum foil and place in a preheated 350° oven until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Layer each warm tortilla with beans and rice and any other fillings you choose, spreading evenly in a line down the center. Top with cheese and salsa, tuck in the ends to keep the goodness in, roll up, and enjoy.