Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
This yummy dish is supercharged with healthy ingredients, and a cinch to make, despite the exotic flavor combinations. Hearty enough to go solo, or serve Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup with some brown rice on the side and a simple green salad for a flavorful multi-course meal.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut lengthwise then again into ½- to 1-inch pieces
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 4 to 5 cups vegetable broth; or equivalent amount of water and 3 teaspoons or cubes of vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup lentils, variety of your choice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ cup Vegan Curry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or stevia
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper blend (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Add 1 inch of water to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add sweet potato and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, then add onion and cook for 5 minutes longer. Add the apple and turn off the heat, but leave the pot on the stove, covered, for 5 minutes longer. Pour the mixture into a blender with 2 cups of water and puree, then return the soup to the pan. Add remaining water and vegetable bouillon. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 35 minutes longer, depending on the lentil variety you choose (red and yellow cook more quickly). Remove from heat and serve.