Mediterranean Lentil Salad
This scrumptious high protein salad is surprisingly simple to pull together. The combination of lentils and quinoa produces a nutty taste and pleasing texture for a hearty lunch or side dish. Toss in some oven roasted cauliflower and serve over arugula for a wonderfully healthy meal.
- ½ cup cup ea., French Green, Spanish Pandina and green lentils
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ¾ cup pitted Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, chopped (a blender or food processor is perfect for this)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. powdered garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Give your lentils a quick rinse to remove any debris. Add 8 cups of water to a large saucepan and pour in the lentils and quinoa. The water should cover the lentils by at least 4”. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat, add a sprinkle of salt, and simmer for 15 minutes before adding onion, celery and sundried tomatoes. Return to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes longer, until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat, drain and pour the mixture into a large serving bowl. Add remaining ingredients and serve warm or cold.