Sensational Summer Chickpea Salad
This salad is a snap to make and especially delicious with freshly cooked garbanzo beans, but canned (BPA-Free) work as well. The fresh corn adds a hint of summer sweetness, a nice balance to the tang of your favorite salsa. I love it for sharing at picnics and potlucks, since you get lots of flavor, fiber and protein for your buck. Serve as a side dish or over a bed of mixed greens or shredded kale for a simple, satisfying lunch.
- 5-6 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 2-3 large celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4-6 green onions, thinly sliced (I use the whole thing, green and white)
- 1 ear of fresh corn, (steamed, kernels removed, cob discarded) or 1 cup frozen corn (organic or GMO-free)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh salsa (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
To prepare beans from scratch, soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse beans, then add to a large stockpot and fill with water to cover the beans by at least 6 inches. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1½ to 2½ hours, until tender.
Drain and rinse your garbanzos, whether they’re cooked or canned, then add to a large salad bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir to thoroughly combined and serve at room temperature.
Note: Sensational Summer Chickpea Salad is even better when it’s prepared an hour or so ahead, or better still the day prior, to really let the flavors meld.