Shitake Kale Salad
A true power blend, Shitake Kale Salad is one of my dietary staples. Packed with amazing nutrients, it’s one of the few salads you can make ahead, since it will last, refrigerated, for several days.
Kale is considered one of the healthiest foods you can eat, since it’s loaded with antioxidants, which help to neutralize harmful free radicals and is a great source of calcium as well. Some research suggests kale even helps reduce the risk of certain cancers. One cup of raw kale provides more than 100% of the daily recommended value of vitamins A, C, and K.
Easy to prepare, Shitake Kale Salad makes a delicious, nutritious side dish or light meal.
- 4 to 6 cups kale, chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 to 8 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced (use both white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted or untoasted)
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce (optional)
Combine kale and sesame oil in a large salad bowl. Lightly toss, then “massage” the kale a bit with your fingers to slightly wilt it. Add remaining ingredients, toss, and serve.