Ten Minute Spring Rolls
The actual prep time for these delicious spring rolls depends upon your choice of veggies, but when time is of the essence, ten minutes is enough. Cabbage, lettuce, avocado, tofu and sprouts are your speediest options. Carrots, peppers, cukes and herbs take a bit longer, but not much. The rest is a snap; just dip the spring roll wrapper in water for a few seconds as it softens like magic and you’re ready to fill and roll. Here’s my eight-year old helper Talia to demonstrate her fabulous ten minute spring rolls, one simple step as a time:
- 8 rice paper wrappers (available in the Asian-foods section of most grocery stores)
Filling options (choose 3-5 for best results):
- 1/2 cups alfalfa or radish sprouts
- 1 cup green-leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 cup red or green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded or julienned (sliced in thin strips)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned (sliced in thin strips)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and julienned (sliced in thin strips)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped (a blender or mini food processor is great for this)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (see above)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, raw or roasted, chopped
- 6 ounces firm tofu, plain or teriyaki-flavored, cut into 16 thin strips
- 1 avocado, seed and peel removed, cut into 16 thin strips (optional)
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Amino Acids for dipping
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip a wrapper into the warm water for just a second or two to soften, then lay it flat on a plate and get ready to wrap.
Place your choice of ingredients in a row across the center, place, leaving about 2 inches on either side of the wrap without any ingredients.
Fold the “naked” sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, burrito-style. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Served room temperature or chilled, with (0ptional) dipping sauce.
Time Saving Tip: If a stop to the market is on your agenda, visit the salad bar and stock up on pre cut veggies like carrots and red peppers to save the time of cutting them yourself.