Vegan Energy Breakfast Bars
Preparation Time: 10 minutes to mix, 2+ hours to soak, 45 minutes to back
One of my go-to food staples. These Vegan Energy Breakfast Bars really are all good; high in nutrients, fiber and protein with very low sugar and no saturated fat. The ingredients are easy to find, even a good chain grocery store should have them. While the ingredients list looks long, the prep is very easy and the results are delicious!
These hearty vegan energy bars store and travel really well too, perfect for on the go or on the road. I like to whip up a batch on the weekend and enjoy them all week long! If you bake more than 5 days’ worth, consider freezing some of the bars for later.
Note: I recommend using an 8 or 9” square baking pan or dish, but don’t let that throw you off track. Substitute a cake pan or similar in a pinch.
- 2 cups muesli (found in most grocery cereal aisles)
- 2 cups rolled oats or spelt flakes
- 1 ½ cups, plus 3 tablespoons soy, oat, or coconut milk (keep 3 tablespoons reserved)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup 100% peanut butter or almond butter (made without added sugar or other ingredients)
- 2 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon stevia or 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil or non-dairy butter
- 3 tbsp. vanilla protein powder (Vega is a favorite)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (optional)
Add muesli and oats to a large mixing bowl and pour in 1 ½ cups rice milk and vanilla. Mix well to combine, then let stand for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Thinly spread coconut oil along the inside surface of an 8 or 9” square baking dish to prevent sticking. Add banana, peanut butter and remaining ½ cup rice milk to your high speed blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into muesli and oat mixture and add remaining ingredients. Stir until well blended.
Spoon the mixture into the pan, spread evenly and pat it down with a large spoon or spatula. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the pan in for at least 15 minutes longer (or until the oven is cool). Cut into squares and serve. Store covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.