Veggie Taco Pizza (gluten free)
Easy Vegan Taco Pizza is so savory and satisfying, you won’t believe how nutritionally stellar it is. This recipe is very abundant, so if you’re only cooking for one or two, freeze half of the crust, then just thaw, top and bake when you’re ready to serve it.
- 2-3 medium-sized carrots, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- Coconut oil for the cooking dish
- 1 cup whole grain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups pico di gallo or salsa fresca
- 2 cups plant or dairy based shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup chopped olives (optional)
Preheat the oven to 385 degrees. Lightly oil 2 cookie baking pans with coconut oil.
Place chopped carrots, parsnips and sweet potato pieces in a saucepan with 1” of water. Heat, covered, on a medium high stovetop to simmer, then lower the heat to medium low and steam for 7-10 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
Turn off the heat and drain the liquid from the veggie mixture. Let the pan sit for a few more minutes to allow the vegetables to begin to cool.
Add the steamed veggies and the sage to the blender or food processor, and process until well blended, but there is no need to completely puree here!
Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the flour, salt, seasoning and garlic until blended. Divide the dough in half and using your hands, flatten each half onto one of the oiled cookie sheets to create a 12” round pizza crust (it will be about ¼” thick).
Bake for 10 minutes, before removing from the oven. Sprinkle with cheese, top with pico de gallo or salsa fresca (and olives if your using them) and return to the oven to be for 10-15 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
Remove from the oven and serve.