White Bean Caesar Salad
4 to 6 servings
A good Caesar Salad is always a treat, yet when loaded with all of the oil and cheese the traditional recipe calls for, not the healthiest of fare. This delicious vegan version is simple to prepare, while the white beans add a hearty dose of plant-based protein. Kids have been known to tussle over the last remaining lettuce leafs (and croutons), so be sure to prepare accordingly.
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes before using
- ¼ cup soaking water from cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup soy, rice, or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh if available)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 -2 cloves garlic; or 1 teaspoon powdered or granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Bragg Liquid Aminos (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 rounded tablespoon jarred capers
- 2 cups small white beans, precooked
- 1 head romaine lettuce (6 to 8 cups), cut into bite-sized pieces
- Whole-wheat garlic croutons (homemade or a good store brand)
- Ground pepper to taste
To prepare beans from scratch, soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse, then add them to a large stockpot and fill with water so it covers the beans by at least 6 inches. Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water to cool.
Add the first 10 ingredients (cashews to capers/fish sauce) to a blender. Puree until smooth. Add the lettuce to a large serving bowl and toss with dressing and beans. Season with pepper, add croutons, and serve.
Copyright Elizabeth Borelli, 2013